Author Topic: Forum language choice  (Read 17170 times)

Offline Armando

• Global Moderator
Forum language choice
« on: Monday, 01.04.13 - 16:19:39 - CEST »
Hi @all,

by following the advice by roman, I'm posting this new topic to discuss about the opportunity to use English as the preferred language on the forum.
Needless to say, by suggesting English I'm obviously expressing just my own opinion.
As already stated in another forum thread, I think that using Google translations is not a good idea because of the unintelligible Google translations.

I keep in mind most LFEP users are German. They will obviously prefer their own language; but I'm pretty sure they all speak English too.

I sometimes answered some German questions on the old forum, just to be of help. But, as I don't speak German, I was obliged to use Google translator to understand the question. And what is most interesting is that I answered in English and the messages that followed (by the same users who had posted the question in German) were in English...  :)

If Google translations were fine I would not suggest English. But this is not the case.  :(

In a few words, on the old forum sometimes I was able to "decipher" the automatic translations and so I posted my answers or questions; many times I preferred to point out what I had understood by the translation before going on to post my message; too many times I was not able to decipher the translation at all...

I'm sure I'm not the only LFEP user who doesn't speak German.  :)
Maybe a selection of the language could be shown when the user is going to write on the forum, with a hint to prefer English in place of German.  ::)

Anyway thank you for the idea of creating a new forum to discuss about LFEP.  ;)

CS
Armando Beneduce
« Last Edit: Monday, 01.04.13 - 16:51:01 - CEST by Armando »

Offline Roman

• Operator
    • LittleFoot Community Forum
Re: Forum language choice
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 04.04.13 - 13:27:27 - CEST »
To follow up Armandos request, from my point of view I wouldn't mind if the prefered language would be changed to english in this forum. But I think it is necessary to hear the opinion of other users.

I just found out that is is possible to:
  • change the default SMF (forum software) language to english
  • allow individual user language of SMF (can be changed individually in your profile and appears as long as you are logged in)
  • keep the google translator as a backup, help to translate if some words are unknown (even if grammer and syntax are ugly)

So what is the opinion of other users?

CS
Roman
Klare Nächte / Starry Nights
Roman

Offline Antoon

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 06.04.13 - 11:57:51 - CEST »
Hi All,

It would be very good for me if the language changes to english. That is my humble opinion. But i must say i understand a little bit German. If i read and re-read it a few times, i can understand the diskussions reasonably good. Germany is a favorite country for me to go on a vacation. In may i'm going to "Cochem an der Mösel" to enjoy the nature and the wine  :)
So it is up to you guys to decide. I prefer english. But i agree with the majority.

Best Regards
Antoon

Offline molar

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 07.04.13 - 09:53:46 - CEST »
Hallo Forum!

Zunächst einmal glaube ich, dass die überwiegende Anzahl LFEP-Besitzer aus dem deutschsprachigen Raum stammt.

Daher vertrete ich die Meinung, dass das Forum generell deutschsprachig bleiben sollte.

Englisch ist nicht meine Muttersprache und mir zumindest fällt es schwerer technischen Diskussionen in Englisch zu folgen. Ich glaube auch, das die aktive Beteiligung am Forum so leiden würde.

Grüsse

Thomas

Offline the_lizardking

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 21.04.13 - 23:33:22 - CEST »
For me its no problem, however for the once that cannot follow i would propose to stay in german and the one who can go with english should go with it. We will for sure find a way to help both parties but i would see english as pimary language.

Cs

Offline eurit40

• New
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 23.04.13 - 22:58:23 - CEST »
Hi Community,

I fully agree to The Lizardking´s arguments. Maybe you once whitnessed at a butchery a conversation between a foreign customer with crude language knowledge and the butcher. The foreigner got what he wanted. It´s not the grammer but the meaning. Isn´t it Armando? As you notice, reading this lines, my English is indeed not my mother tongue. I call it "Germish"...  but I don´t care. Moreover, I see it as an usefull act of practice and helps me to overcome my fear spelling/writing somthing wrong. So I vote for English as the prefered language with fallback for those who aren´t able to write in English.

Let´s help our foreing friends to participate our forum.

CS Stefan

P.S.
Of corse I had a dictionary near my keyboard while writing this lines and it took tripple the time to write it down... But as I said, I don´t care

Offline Armando

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 24.04.13 - 00:51:20 - CEST »
Hi Stefan,

you understood perfectly what I meant.
Also my English isn't very good.  :-[ But we're nicely exchanging messages in English on this forum...  ;)

CS
Armando

Offline FelixBuechner

« Reply #7 on: Monday, 29.04.13 - 15:36:40 - CEST »
Hi all,

after having typed two lengthy articles about the virtues of starting a new development project AND arguing FOR english as the preferred language of the project, I feel a little stupid, because I WROTE ALL IN GERMAN ...

So: I, too, vote "pro english" and promise to try and write only english in future.

Best regards, Felix

Offline the_lizardking

« Reply #8 on: Monday, 29.04.13 - 22:18:52 - CEST »
hehe I was wondering  :P

Offline Over50

• New
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, 07.05.13 - 09:20:50 - CEST »
moin moin,

ich möcht hier mal an den Beitrag von molar erinnern,

...Daher vertrete ich die Meinung, dass das Forum generell deutschsprachig bleiben sollte.

Englisch ist nicht meine Muttersprache und mir zumindest fällt es schwerer technischen Diskussionen in Englisch zu folgen. Ich glaube auch, das die aktive Beteiligung am Forum so leiden würde.

Grüsse

Thomas

Eine Diskussion zum ASCOM-Treiber kann von mir aus in Englisch geführt werden.
Inzwischen verbreitet sich das aber in allen Themenbereichen.
Ich finde das sehr Schade, denn so kann ich weder richtig folgen noch an einer Diskussion teilhaben.

CS Volker

Offline Roman

• Operator
    • LittleFoot Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, 07.05.13 - 20:42:59 - CEST »
Hallo Volker, Thomas und wer sich sonst noch angesprochen fühlt.

Es ist natürlich nicht Sinn der Sache dass einzelne Personen benachteiligt werden. Wie könnte denn ein Kompromiss aussehen? Getrennte Foren für Deutsch und Englisch? Oder ein "Entwicklerforum" das dann ausschließlich in Englisch geführt wird? Eine Goolge-Übersetzung per Klick einzelner Beiträge? Wer hat denn konstruktive Vorschläge?

VG Roman
Klare Nächte / Starry Nights
Roman

Offline the_lizardking

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, 07.05.13 - 21:41:55 - CEST »
Ja ich bleibe mal auch Deutsch,... ich verstehe total das Problem - natürlich kann man nicht erwarten, dass jeder Englisch versteht und es macht auch keinen Sinn jemanden auszugrenzen oder zu benachteiligen.

Eine Google translation ist aus meiner Sicht eine gute Idee,... grundsätzlich - jeder hat seine prefered language in seinem Profil hinterlegt, genauso wie die Zeitzone. Es wäre denkbar das Forum so einzurichten, dass jeder Beitrag mit dieser prefered language codiert wird und google diese Beiträge dann je nach user spezifischen Einstellung übersetzt. Der Übersetzer arbeitet ja schon recht gut,... so würde es nicht einmal wer merken, dass ein Beitrag automatisch vom translator übersetzt wurde und kann so schreiben wie Ihm der Schnabel gewachsen ist. Die die dann Englisch wählen schreiben Englisch, die die Deutsch nehmen Deutsch,... und alle verstehen sich - perfect world :P

Ist nur mal so eine Idee,...

Was ich nicht befürworten würde ist irgendeine Trennung oder "weitere Ausgrenzung" zu auch nur irgendeinem Thema:
1. Sind die die am wenigsten sagen immer jene die wenn sie was sagen die besten Ideen haben, schon alleine deshalb weil solche Leute laaaange nachdenken bevor sie überhaupt was sagen.
2. Soll auch jeder seinen Beitrag leisten können sei es unangenehm oder konstruktiv, denn jeder der etwas zu sagen hat hat dafür auch einen Grund.

Dazu ist aber einmal absolut wichtig, dass wir uns alle auch verstehen.

Offline Tobias

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, 07.05.13 - 22:02:09 - CEST »
 Hallo zusammen,
 ich hatte ja meine Bedenken schon mal in einem anderen Beitrag geäußert... aber ich wollte nun doch noch mal einen etwas differenzierteren Vorschlag machen:
 - es wäre sehr von Vorteil, wenn es die Möglichkeit gäbe neben dem Benutzername / Rang / Beiträgen etc. einen Hinweis auf die präferierte Sprache anzuzeigen --> selbst wenn ein Beitrag in Englisch oder Deutsch startet, aber die Teilnehmer alle die andere Sprache präferieren, wäre es so sehr einfach auf diese zu wechseln...
 - eine andere Lösung wären eben alle Kategorien jeweils einmal in Englisch und einmal in Deutsch anzulegen, so könnte das Forum jedoch schnell unübersichtlich werden.
 - Wichtige Hinweise oder Infos sollten m.M.n. generell zweisprachig angelegt werden
 - ein Entwicklungsbereich (der sich ja vom allg. Support deutlich abhebt) kann sicherlich vollständig und ausschließlich in Englisch gehalten sein -sofern auch Beiträge auf Deutsch für Nichtenglischsprechende erlaubt bleiben ;)

Ich kann jetzt nur für mich sprechen, aber momentan läuft eine Diskussion zu einer "gestorbenen" LFEP... zu diesem Beitrag hätte ich auch etwas beitragen können, allerdings ist fast der gesamte Text (bis auf meine Checkliste - funktioniert die Verlinkung noch einwandfrei, sonst könnte ich die auch noch mal neu hochladen...?) in Englisch. Prinzipiell kein nicht zu lösendes Problem, da ich aber momentan sehr wenig Zeit habe, habe ich keine Zeit gefunden den Beitrag komplett durchzulesen und meine Antwort auf Englisch anzufertigen ( dazu brauch ich leider ein vielfaches der "deutschen" Zeit) :( . Daher plädiere ich dafür, dass der Beitragsstarter seine Präferenz mitteilt - eben z.B. über die unter Punkt 1 erwähnte automatische Anzeige.

Soviel von meiner Seite, was haltet ihr von den Vorschlägen?
 CS Tobias
früher unter forum.rajiva auch als Tobias unterwegs

Offline the_lizardking

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, 07.05.13 - 22:11:12 - CEST »
Tobias die Checkliste habe ich in die Anleitung unter lfep.de übertragen im Bereich Update, verlinken ist nicht notwendig.

Offline Over50

• New
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, 08.05.13 - 19:41:41 - CEST »
moin moin,

eine automatische Google-Übersetzung wäre schon mal ein Weg.
Momentah helfe ich mir damit auch, also per Kopieren --> Einfügen --> Lesen.
Retour bin mir da aber zu unsicher, weil ich nicht weiß, inwieweit der Sinn erhalten bleibt.
Speziell zu der von Tobias angesprochenen Diskussion zur gecrashten LFEP ist eine Antwort so diffizil,
dass ich mich entschlossen habe, die "Klappe" zu halten, was eigentlich Schade ist.

Vielleicht finden wir ja einen Weg, mit dem alle zufrieden sein können.

CS Volker

Offline the_lizardking

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, 08.05.13 - 20:07:55 - CEST »
Ho volker.
ne google ist gerade bei Deutsch schon sehr gut mittlerweile,... Fachbegriffe klar da gibts noch ein paar Probleme aber die sind ja meißt sowieso universell oder zumindest ähnlich in jeder Sprache,... aber automatisch ist natürlich etwas feiner,... vor allem merkt man es nicht und es rennt gut. Ich habe soetwas ähnliches mal auf meiner Seite mit einer Ländererkennung gemacht und klar für Russisch oder Bulgarisch, Serbisch rennt das noch nicht optimal aber Deutsch ist sicher gut,...

Offline gpaolo

« Reply #16 on: Monday, 29.07.13 - 17:31:37 - CEST »
Well, I'm new here, but I would like to say that language was the biggest issue of the "old" forum.
For sure LF is a German product and a significant part of customers are Germans, but if the idea of a community is to help all the people around the world, the language of the forum should definitively be something more "user friendly" than German  ;D
The language of the forum layout can be easily changed and I don't think it is a big issue, with the help of online translators, but the language of the posts it a lot more important, also because most of the times the same online translators get lost with the use of colloquial expressions, incorrect spelling, etc.
So I think that the people here from Germany should join our effort to write in English, not only because otherwise the people who needs the informations will be unable to understand them, but also because they would not be able to use the knowledge and the help of other people from foreign countries (I guess that there will be someone outside Germany capable to use the LF!  :D ).